Pseudo-Dynamic Test Facility
A large scale Pseudo-Dynamic/Cyclic Test Facility has been developed in which full scale three storey structural models can be tested under earthquake simulation conditions. The facility is very useful for validating/ verifying and also updating the numerical modelling of new/innovative concepts under simulated earthquake loading conditions. The facility consists of a Strong Floor (12 m x 10m), Reaction Wall (2 No’s of 9m x 9m) and Reaction Frame (6m x 9m with 100 tonne capacity under any combination of loads i.e. axial, flexure shear and torsion).
Component Test Facility
Component level tests are conducted in the lab to study the earthquake behaviour of structures right up to its failure stage. The tests are directed to study the component’s hysteretic behaviour, lateral resistance and ductility, strength and stiffness degradation, plastic hinge rotation, mode of failure and to verify analytical and numerical models. The facility consists of a 1 m thick reinforced concrete reaction floor and two 3 m x 3 m (600 mm thick) reaction wall.
Material Test Facility
The facility available in the department is equipped to test materials commonly related to the construction industry like concrete, steel and masonry. The aim of this facility is to generate reliable, accurate and reproducible test results. Equipped to conduct variety of test including tensile coupon test, compression and flexural tests, masonry prism test along with accurate data acquisition system, the lab provides the required data for researchers as well for industries.
(a) Servo-Hydraulic Actuators
Heavy duty force generators, which can be used to apply equal axial force in tension and compression with excellent dynamic characteristics.
- 1000 kN, Double ended, Fatigue rated actuator. Stroke Capacity 500 mm (+/- 250 mm) with peak velocity 1 cm/sec to 12 cm/sec.
- 500 kN, Double ended, Fatigue rated actuator. Stroke Capacity 500 mm (+/- 250 mm) with peak velocity 1 cm/sec to 75 cm/sec.
- 500 kN, Double ended, Dynamic actuator. Stroke Capacity 500 mm (+/- 250 mm) with peak velocity 1 cm/sec to 30 cm/sec.
- 250 kN (Two numbers), Double ended, Dynamic actuator. Stroke Capacity 500 mm (+/- 250 mm) with peak velocity 1 cm/sec to 50 cm/sec.
- 100 kN (Three numbers), dynamic actuator. Stroke Capacity: 300 mm (+/- 150 mm) with peak velocity 27.2 cm/sec at no load.
(b) Hydraulic Power Unit
Capable of generating huge amount of power to drive the servo-hydraulic actuators during testing.
- For Pseudo-Dynamic: Delivery at least 400 LPM at 210 bar/ 21 MPa/ 3000 psi.
- For Quasi-Static: Delivery at least 90 LPM at 207 bars.
(c) Data Acquisition System and Instrumentation
- Digital Electronic Controller (Unit 1): Modular type flexible digital compact eight channel controller to control six actuators (with provision to add two control cards in future) during pseudo-dynamic / quasi- static test.
- Digital Electronic Controller (Unit 2): Modular type twelve channel (4 channel for each actuator) controller.
- LVDTs, strain gauges and accelerometers.
(d) Digital Image Correlation System