Prof. Pankaj Agrawal
Pankaj Agrawal Head of the Department firstname.lastname@example.org +91-01332-285317 Website
Area of Expertise
- Earthquake Resistant Design of Structures
- Low-strength masonry buildings
- Repair and retrofitting of masonry and reinforced concrete buildings
- Large- and full-scale testing of structures
- Ph.D. (University of Roorkee), 2000
- M.E. (University of Roorkee), 1994
- B.Tech. (G.B. Pant University of Agriculture & Technology, Pantnagar), 1989
- Innovation Through Teaching: An education course on earthquake engineering for the practicing design Engineers and Architects was conducted in 2003 in a new format known as DEIW under four synchronized modes;
(1) Distance learning (2) Electronic learning (3) Interactive learning and (4) Workshop learning.
- Educational Development: Written a book on Earthquake Resistant Design of Structures published by Prentice-Hall of India, New Delhi, 2006. Eighteenth reprint till May 2019.
- Innovative Research Development: Developed a new construction technique for ER housing (low-rise and high-rise) based on interlocking of pre-cast slotted concrete blocks with the help of visco-elastic energy dissipation links, prepared by recycling pieces of rubber tyres. The work has been recognized at national and international levels winning Best Paper Award in Structural Engineering, 2018 at Indian Institute of Technology, Bombay; Young Concrete Engineer Award 2016-17 by Indian Concrete Institute, Chandigarh; Gold Prize under young scientist award under poster session by IDRiM & TIFAC, New Delhi. The developed technology was also demonstrated at Make in India Week from 13-18 February, 2016 at Bandra Kurla Complex, Mumbai, India. A feature on the tests of model buildings was also broadcast by NDTV India on 19 May 2015 on Prime Time and can be seen at [Video]
- Infrastructure Development: Developed a new integrated large scale Pseudo-Dynamic/Cyclic Test Facility to test the full scale three storey reinforced concrete model for the calibrations/ verification and updating the numerical modeling.
- International Collaborations: A joint research agreement on November 07, 2019 with Fujita Corporation Tokyo Japan related to jointly study of appropriate earthquake resistant and seismic response control technologies along-with the development and design of construction guidelines for using them in India.
significant Peer Recognition
- Best Paper Award in Structural Engineering, 2018: National Conference on Next Frontiers in Civil Engineering-Sustainable and Resilient Infrastructure organized by Department of Civil Engineering, Indian Institute of Technology Bombay (IITB) on 30th November - 01st December, 2018.
- Young Concrete Engineer Award 2016-17: in recognition of innovative project "Earthquake Resistant Interlinked Block Masonry System with Visco-Elastic Energy Dissipater Links" by Indian Concrete Institute, Chandigarh Center (Chandigarh, Punjab, Haryana, J&K, H.P) and Ultratech Cement, India, 04th March, 2017.
- Gold Prize Winner: under young scientist award at 6th Annual Conference of the International Society for Integrated Disaster Risk Management, on Disaster Risk Reduction: Challenges and Opportunities for Sustainable Growth from 28-30 October, 2015 Organized by IDRiM & TIFAC at Scope Convention Centre, Scope Complex, Lodhi Road, New Delhi. The prize was given for the research work entitled "Seismic Performance Evaluation of Innovative Interlinked Concrete Block Masonry System with Energy Dissipater Visco-Elastic Links". The conference was supported by several national and international organizations including, the Disaster Prevention Research Institute (DPRI), Japan and the International Institute for Applied Systems Analysis (IIASA), Austria
- The work on Energy Absorbing Block Masonry Inter-Linked with Visco-Elastic Link Elements has been selected by the IIT Roorkee on the recommendation of technical committee constituted in IIT Mumbai to present a product development in Make In India Program of Govt. of India during Feb. 11-18, 2015 Mumbai
Selected Research Projects
- Feasibility Study on Low Cost Passive Control Devices to Retrofit Soft Storey RC Buildings with Experimental Verification, MoES New Delhi. (PI: Self)
- Seismic Safety of Hill Buildings by using Low Cost Energy Dissipating Device, NHMS Almorah. (PI: Self)
- Seismic Design and Safety Evaluation of Concrete and Masonry Gravity Dams*, CWC -1130-HYD. (PI: Self)
- Seismic Design of Soft Storey in RC Buildings based on Analytical and Experimental Study, DST, New Delhi. (PI: Self)
- Wavelet Packet Based Characterization of Scenario Earthquake Ground Motion, MoES New Delhi (PI: Shrikhande M.)
- Seismic studies, Up-gradation and Maintenance of Instrumented Multi-storied buildings, DST, New Delhi (PI: Ashok Kumar)
- Instrumentation in Multi-storied Buildings in India for Seismic Performance, DST, New Delhi (PI: Thakkar S. K.)
- Performance Based Design of Masonry Buildings, DST, New Delhi (PI: Y. Singh)
- Structural Health Monitoring of Multi-storied RC Buildings, MHRD, New Delhi (PI: Ashok Kumar)
- Quasi-static Testing of Low cost Non-Engineered Construction, AICTE, New Delhi (PI: Thakkar S. K.)
- Model Testing of Masonry Houses on Shock Table to Study of ER and Retrofitting Measures, DST, New Delhi (PI: Thakkar S. K.)
*Lead Person as per SRIC
Honors, Awards & Fellowships
- Khosla Research Prize and Medal, IIT Roorkee, 2002.
- Indian Service of Engineering Award, IIT Roorkee, 2002.
- ‘Earthquake Resistant Design of Structures’ published by Prentice-Hall of India, New Delhi, 2006.
Journals (Last Five Years) (Q1 and Q2 as per WoS)
- Ansari*, Md. I. and Agarwal, P. (2016). “Categorization of Damage Index of Concrete Gravity Dam for the Health Monitoring after Earthquake,” Journal of Earthquake Engineering (Taylor & Francis/IF 1.044/ Q1 as per WoS), Vol. 20, pp 1222-1238.
- Siva*, R., Chidambaram and Pankaj Agarwal (2015). “Seismic Behavior of Hybrid Fiber Reinforced Cementitious Composite Beam–Column Joints,” Materials & Design (Elsevier/IF: 6.289/ Q1 as per WoS);
- Siva*, R., Chidambaram and Pankaj Agarwal, (2015). “Flexural and Shear Behavior of Geo-Grid Confined RC Beams with Steel Fiber Reinforced Concrete,”. Construction and Building Materials (Elsevier/ IF: 3.169/ Q1 as per WoS); Vol 78, pp-271-280.
- R. Siva Chidambaram* and Pankaj Agarwal, (2014). “The Confining Effect of Geo-grid on the Mechanical Properties of Concrete Specimens with Steel Fiber under Compression and Flexure” Construction and Building Materials** (Elsevier/ IF: 3.169/ Q1 as per WoS); Vol. 71: pp-628-637.
- Ansari*, Md. I. and Agarwal, P. (2017) “Damage Index Evaluation of Concrete Gravity Dam Based On Hysteresis Behavior and Stiffness Degradation Under Cyclic Loading,” International Journal of Structural Stability and Dynamics*** (World Scientific/ IF: 1.617/Q2 as per WoS), Vol. 17, No. 1, pp 1750009 (23 pages).
- R. Siva Chidambaram* and Pankaj Agarwal (2018), "Performance Evaluation of Innovative Hybrid Rebar Coupler in RC Beams Subjected to Monotonic Loading" Structural Concrete (Journal of the fib, Wiley; IF: 1.424/ Q2 as per WoS), Vol. 19, Issue 03, Pages:892–903.
- Dadi*, VVS Surya Kumar and Pankaj Agarwal (2015). Comparative Post-Yield Performance Evaluation of Flexural Members under Monotonic and Cyclic Loadings based on Experimental Tests. Structures (Elsevier/ IF: 1.839 /Q2 as per WoS), Vol. 2, pp. 72-80
Journals (Last Five Years) (High Impact Professional Journals, ASCE/ASTM/ACI)
- R.Siva Chidambaram* and Pankaj Agarwal, (2016) “Performance Evaluation of Geo-grid-Confined Beam-Column Joints with Steel Fiber Reinforced Concrete under Cyclic Loading”, Journal of Testing and Evaluation (ASTM, IF: 0.389); Vol.44, No.1, pp.1-17.
- Amit Goyal*, Pankaj Agarwal (2017) " Earthquake-Resistant Interlinked Block Masonry System with Energy Dissipater Viscoelastic Links" Practice Periodical on Structural Design and Construction, ASCE, Vol. 22, Issue 03, pages 04017001
- Ansari*, Md. I. and Agarwal, P. (2016) “Rehabilitation Technique for Severely Damaged Concrete Gravity Dam,” Practice Periodical on Structural Design and Construction, ASCE, Vol. 21, Issue 03, Pages 04016008
- Radhikesh. P. Nanda, Manish Shrikhande and Pankaj Agarwal (2016).) “Low Cost Base Isolation System For Seismic Protection of Rural Buildings,” Practice Periodical on Structural Design and Construction (ASCE), Vol. 21(1): -1--1 pp 04015001-1_8
- R. Siva Chidambaram and Pankaj Agarwal (2018) "Performance Evaluation of Metallic and Synthetic Fiber Hybridization on the Cyclic Behavior of Exterior Beam-Column Joint," Advances in Civil Engineering Materials, ASTM International.
Journals (Last Five Years) (Resulting from collaborative work outside the Institute.)
- Neha Kadiyan, R. S. Chatterjee*, Pranshu Pranjal, Pankaj Agrawal, S. K. Jain, M. L. Angurala, A. K. Biyan, M. S. Sati, Dheeraj Kumar, Ashutosh Bhardwaj & P. K. Champati Ray (2021). “Assessment of Groundwater Depletion–induced land subsidence and Characterization of Damaging Cracks on Houses: a case study in Mohali-Chandigarh Area, India” Bulletin of Engineering Geology and the Environment. (Springer; IF: 3.257/Q2 as per WoS) (Link).
- VS Kanwar, RP Singh, N Kwatra, P Agarwal (2016). “Monitoring of RCC Structures affected by Earthquakes,” Geomatics, Natural Hazards and Risk (Taylor & Francis, IF 3.33/ Q1 ), Vol. 7, Issue. 37-64 as per WoS
- Divyashree Yadav, Naveen Kwatra** & Pankaj Agarwal (2021). “Comparative Post-yield Performance Evaluation of Flexure Member with Corroded Reinforcement”, Structure and Infrastructure Engineering (Taylor & Francis; IF: 3.32/ Q2 as per WoS), 17:1, 103-123.
- Yadav, D., Kwatra, N**. and Agarwal, P. (2019). “Post‐yield deformation parameters of reinforced concrete beam with corroded reinforcement”, Structural Concrete (Journal of the fib, Wiley; IF: 1.424/ Q2 as per WoS), Vol. 20 (1), 318-329.