Prof. Pankaj Agrawal
Pankaj Agrawal Head of Department pankaj.agrawal@]eq.iitr.ac.in +91-01332-285317 Website
Area of Expertise
- Earthquake Resistant Design of Structures
- Low-strength masonry buildings
- Repair and retrofitting of masonry and reinforced concrete buildings
- Large- and full-scale testing of structures
- Ph.D. (University of Roorkee), 2000
- M.E. (University of Roorkee), 1994
- B.Tech. (G.B. Pant University of Agriculture & Technology, Pantnagar), 1989
- Innovation Through Teaching: An education course on earthquake engineering for the practicing design Engineers and Architects was conducted in 2003 in a new format known as DEIW under four synchronized modes;
(1) Distance learning (2) Electronic learning (3) Interactive learning and (4) Workshop learning.
- Educational Development: Written a book on Earthquake Resistant Design of Structures published by Prentice-Hall of India, New Delhi, 2006. Eighteenth reprint till May 2019.
- Innovative Research Development: Developed a new construction technique for ER housing (low-rise and high-rise) based on interlocking of pre-cast slotted concrete blocks with the help of visco-elastic energy dissipation links, prepared by recycling pieces of rubber tyres. The work has been recognized at national and international levels winning Best Paper Award in Structural Engineering, 2018 at Indian Institute of Technology, Bombay; Young Concrete Engineer Award 2016-17 by Indian Concrete Institute, Chandigarh; Gold Prize under young scientist award under poster session by IDRiM & TIFAC, New Delhi. The developed technology was also demonstrated at Make in India Week from 13-18 February, 2016 at Bandra Kurla Complex, Mumbai, India. A feature on the tests of model buildings was also broadcast by NDTV India on 19 May 2015 on Prime Time and can be seen at [Video]
- Infrastructure Development: Developed a new integrated large scale Pseudo-Dynamic/Cyclic Test Facility to test the full scale three storey reinforced concrete model for the calibrations/ verification and updating the numerical modeling.
Selected Research Projects
- Feasibility Study on Low Cost Passive Control Devices to Retrofit Soft Storey RC Buildings with Experimental Verification, MoES New Delhi. (PI: Self)
- Seismic Safety of Hill Buildings by using Low Cost Energy Dissipating Device, NHMS Almorah. (PI: Self)
- Seismic Design of Soft Storey in RC Buildings based on Analytical and Experimental Study, DST, New Delhi. (PI: Self)
- Wavelet Packet Based Characterization of Scenario Earthquake Ground Motion, MoES New Delhi (PI: Shrikhande M.)
- Seismic studies, Up-gradation and Maintenance of Instrumented Multi-storied buildings, DST, New Delhi (PI: Ashok Kumar)
- Instrumentation in Multi-storied Buildings in India for Seismic Performance, DST, New Delhi (PI: Thakkar S. K.)
- Performance Based Design of Masonry Buildings, DST, New Delhi (PI: Y. Singh)
- Structural Health Monitoring of Multi-storied RC Buildings, MHRD, New Delhi (PI: Ashok Kumar)
- Quasi-static Testing of Low cost Non-Engineered Construction, AICTE, New Delhi (PI: Thakkar S. K.)
- Model Testing of Masonry Houses on Shock Table to Study of ER and Retrofitting Measures, DST, New Delhi (PI: Thakkar S. K.)
Honors, Awards & Fellowships
- Khosla Research Prize and Medal, IIT Roorkee, 2002.
- Indian Service of Engineering Award, IIT Roorkee, 2002.
- ‘Earthquake Resistant Design of Structures’ published by Prentice-Hall of India, New Delhi, 2006.
Journals (Last Five Years)
- Tomar A., Paul D. K. and Agarwal P. (2019). "Seismic Assessment and Retrofitting of A Heritage Brick Masonry Building Using FRP", Journal of Earthquake and Tsunami (World Scientific; IF 0.702), 13(01).
- Tomar A., Paul D. K. and Agarwal P. (2018). "Correlation Between Computed Stress Response and Observed Damage of a Heritage Masonry Building", Journal of Earthquake and Tsunami (World Scientific; IF 0.702), 12(01).
- Chidambaram R. S. and Agarwal P. (2017). "Performance Evaluation of Innovative Hybrid Rebar Coupler in RC Beams Subjected to Monotonic Loading", Structural Concrete (Journal of the fib, Wiley; IF: 1.424), Accepted.
- Tomar A., Paul D. K. and Agarwal P. (2017). "Compression and Cyclic Shear Behavior of Lime Mortar Brick Masonry", Journal of Earthquake and Tsunami (World Scientific Publishing Company). Link
- Goyal A. and Agarwal P. (2017). "Earthquake-Resistant Interlinked Block Masonry System with Energy Dissipator Viscoelastic Links", Practice Periodical on Structural Design and Construction (American Society of Civil Engineers), 22-03(04017001).
- Goyal A. and Agarwal P. (2017). "Use of Co-Polymer of Styrene Butadiene Rubber-A Seismically Innovative Approach towards Energy Dissipation" Procedia Engineering (Elsevier), 173(1800 – 1807).
- Ansari Md. I. and Agarwal P. (2017). “Damage Index Evaluation of Concrete Gravity Dam Based On Hysteresis Behavior and Stiffness Degradation Under Cyclic Loading”, International Journal of Structural Stability and Dynamics (World Scientific; IF: 1.617), 17-1(1750009).
- Chidambaram R. S. and Agarwal P. (2016). “Performance Evaluation of Geo-grid-Confined Beam-Column Joints with Steel Fiber Reinforced Concrete under Cyclic Loading”, Journal of Testing and Evaluation (ASTM, IF: 0.389), 44-1(1-17).
- Dadi V. V. S. S. K. and Agarwal P. (2016). "Nonlinear Cyclic Performance Evaluation of Soft Storey RC Frame Buildings Based on Different Characteristics of Reinforcement", KSCE Journal of Civil Engineering (Springer,; IF: 0.812), 20-2(738–746).
- Ansari Md. I. and Agarwal P. (2016). “Categorization of Damage Index of Concrete Gravity Dam for the Health Monitoring after Earthquake”, Journal of Earthquake Engineering (Taylor & Francis; IF: 1.044), 20(1222-1238).
- Ansari Md. I. and Agarwal P. (2016). “Rehabilitation Technique for Severely Damaged Concrete Gravity Dam”, Practice Periodical on Structural Design and Construction (ASCE), 21-03(04016008).
- Ansari Md. I. and Agarwal P. (2016). “Comparison of Damage Indexes Proposed for a Concrete Gravity Dam”, International Journal of Dam Engineering, XXXVIII-2(01-15).
- Nanda R. P., Shrikhande M. and Agarwal P. (2016). “Low Cost Base Isolation System For Seismic Protection of Rural Buildings”, Practice Periodical on Structural Design and Construction (ASCE), 21-1(04015001-1_8)
- Kanwar V. S., Singh R. P., Kwatra N., Agarwal P. (2016). “Monitoring of RCC structures affected by earthquakes” Geomatics, Natural Hazards and Risk (Taylor & Francis, IF 1.710), 7(37-64).
- Roy T. and Agarwal P., (2016). “Comparison of Damage Index and Fragility Curve of RC Structure Using Different Indian Standard Codes”, Journal of Structural Engineering (CSIR-SERC), 43-1(1- 09).
- Dadi V. V. S. S. K. and Agarwal P. (2015). "Effect of Types of Reinforcement on Plastic Hinge Rotation Parameters of RC Beams under Pushover and Cyclic Loading", Earthquake Engineering and Engineering Vibration (Springer; IF: 0.706 ), 14-3(503-516).
- Dadi V. V. S. S. K. and Agarwal P. (2015). "Comparative Post-Yield Performance Evaluation of Flexural Members under Monotonic and Cyclic Loadings based on Experimental Tests", Structures (Elsevier; IF: 0753), 2(72-80).
- Chidambaram R. S. and Agarwal P. (2015). “Seismic Behavior of Hybrid Fiber Reinforced Cementitious Composite Beam Column Joints”, Journal of Materials and Design (Elsevier), 86(771–781).
- Chidambaram R. S. and Agarwal P. (2015). “Flexural and Shear Behavior of Geo-Grid Confined RC Beams With Steel Fiber Reinforced Concrete”, Construction and Building Materials (Elsevier; IF: 3.169), 78(271-280).
- Chidambaram R. S. and Agarwal P. (2015). “Inelastic Behavior of R.C Beams with Steel Fiber and Polymer Grid Confinement”, The Indian Concrete Journal, 89(1)-
- Shekhar S. and Agarwal P. (2015). “Seismic Vulnerability Analysis of Bridge Pier Designed with Different Codal Provisions”, Journal of The Bridge and Structural Engineer (IABSE), 45(77–85).
- Singh J. P., Agarwal P., Kumar A. and Thakkar S. K. (2014). “Identification of Modal Parameters of a Multistoried RC Building using Ambient Vibration and Strong Vibration Records of Bhuj Earthquake, 2001”, Journal of Earthquake Engineering (Taylor and Francis; IF: 1.044), 18(444–457).
- Agarwal P., Gupta A. and Angadi R. G. (2014). “Effect of FRP Wrapping on Axial Behavior of Concrete and Cyclic Behavior of External RC Beam Column Joints”, KSCE Journal of Civil Engineering (Springer, IF: 0.812), 18-2(566-573).
- Chidambaram R. S. and Agarwal P. (2014). “The Confining Effect of Geo-grid on the Mechanical Properties of Concrete Specimens with Steel Fiber under Compression and Flexure”, Construction and Building Materials (Elsevier; IF: 3.169), 71(628-637).