Prof. P. C. Ashwin Kumar
P. C. Ashwin Kumar Assistant Professor pcashwin.feq2018[at]iitr.ac.in +91-01332-285775 Website
Areas of Interest
- Structural Engineering, Seismic response and design of steel and reinforced concrete structures
- Structural Engineering, Supplemental damping and energy dissipating devices
- Structural Engineering, Seismic rehabilitation and retrofitting of steel and concrete structures.
- Structural Engineering, Large scale testing and simulation study of structural systems.
- Structural Engineering, Non-destructive assessment of structures
|2018||ongoing||Assistant Professor||IIT Roorkee|
|2012||2013||Senior Design Engineer||EDR Pvt. Ltd.|
|2010||2012||Design Engineer||WSP Global Inc|
|2007||2007||Guest Lecturer||GEC Thrissur, Kerala|
Honors and Awards
|Star Performer Award||WSP Global Inc., India||2012|
|Ph.D.||Structural Engineering||IIT Delhi||2017|
|M.Tech.||Structural Engineering||IIT Madras||2010|
|B.Tech.||Civil Engineering||G. E. C. Thrissur, Kerala||2006|
|2020||Ongoing||Associate Dean Infrastructure (Projects)||IIT Roorkee|
|2018||2020||Coordinator, DFSC||IIT Roorkee|
|2018||2020||Cognizance Faculty In-charge||IIT Roorkee|
- ISET, Life Member
- ASCE , Affiliate Member
|Title||Course Code||Class Name||Semester|
|Earthquake Resistant Design of Bridges and Concrete Dams||EQ-560||P.G./Pre Ph.D.||Spring|
|Introduction to Earthquake Engineering||IEQ-301||U.G.||Autumn|
|Earthquake Resistant Design of Structures||EQ-563||P.G. / Pre Ph.D.||Autumn|
|Numerical Methods for Dynamic Systems||EQ-513||P.G. / Pre Ph.D.||Autumn|
Projects and Thesis Supervised
|Title of Project||Names of Students|
|Application of Non-destructive Testing Techniques for Structural Condition Assessment||Zeeshan A.|
|Numerical Study of Aluminium Metallic Dampers||Pavan P. S. R. S.|
|Seismic Performance Assessment of Mega Braced Frames||Banita P.|
|Investigations to Improve the Seismic Performance of Steel Eccentrically Braced Frames||Zeeshan M.|
|Cyclic Performance Assessment of 'I' Sections as Braces||Harshit Nagar|
|Friction Dampers: Design and Durability Challenges||Kaveri Prathewraj|
|Development of Ductile Pre-Qualified Connection for Steel Structures||Nikhil Kanwal|
|Effect of Stiffness Ratio of Dampers on the Seismic Performance of Buildings||Sanju Satihal|
|Investigations to Improve the Seismic Performance of Steel Eccentrically Braced Frames (Contd.)||Siddhartha Singh|
|Topic||Scholar Name||Status of PHD||Registration Year|
|Passive earthquake resistant systems||Tamilselvan N||O||2018|
|Global retrofitting of structures||Devyani T||O||2018|
Special Lectures Delivered
|Stability analysis of concrete gravity dams as per IS 6512||CEC, IIT Roorkee||1st Nov 2018|
|Typical Failure modes of RCC and masonry Buildings in Earthquakes||CEC, IIT Roorkee||31st Jan 2019|
|GIAN Course on ‘Seismic Design of Steel Structures’||IIT Delhi||21-25, Oct 2019|
|‘Refresher Course on Building Design and Construction for the Engineers of Tata Steel’||CEC, IIT Roorkee||16th Jan 2020|
|Stability analysis of concrete gravity dams as per IS 6512||12th Sep 2019|
|‘Design of steel Moment Resisting Frames’ under five day FDP on "Earthquake Resistant Design of Concrete & Steel Moment Resisting frame Buildings"||Poornima College of Engineering , Jaipur||23rd Sep 2020|
|‘Steel Passive Devices for Seismic Resilience’ under online short term course on "Modern Materials & Structural Systems for Resilient and Sustainable Infrastructure "||TKM College of Engineering Kollam, Kerala||24th Sep 2020|
- Kumar, P. C. A., and Sahoo, D. R. (2015). “Effect of brace configurations on seismic behaviour of SCBFs”, Advances in Structural Engineering Dynamics, Springer, India, Volume 2, 855-868.
Scientific and Technical Reports
- Singh Y., Maheshwari B. K., and Kumar P. C. A. (2020). A Nonlinear Dynamic Analysis of a Turbo-Generator Foundation, Report for NTPC.
- Singh Y., Jakka R.., and Kumar P. C. A. (2020). Seismic Analysis of Luhri Dam(HEP) Stage-1, Himachal Pradesh, Report for Satluj Jal Vidyut Nigam Limited (SJVNL), Shimla.
Refereed Journal Papers
- Kumar, P. C. A., Sahoo, D. R., and Kumar, N. (2015). “Limiting values of slenderness ratio for hollow circular steel braces of concentrically braced frames", Journal of Constructional Steel Research, 115, 223-235.
- Kumar, P. C. A., and Sahoo, D. R. (2016). “Optimum range of slenderness ratio of HSS braces for special concentric braced frames", Advances in Structural Engineering, 19(6), 928-944.
- Kumar, P. C. A., Anand, S., and Sahoo, D. R. (2017). “Modified seismic design of concentrically braced frames considering column demands", Earthquake Engineering & Structural Dynamics, 46(10), 1559-1580.
- Kumar, P. C. A., Sahoo, D. R., and Kumar, A. (2018). “Seismic response of concentrically braced frames with staggered braces in split X configuration”, Journal of Constructional Steel Research, 142(3), 5-11.
- Patra, P., Kumar, P. C. A., and Sahoo, D. R. (2018). “Cyclic performance of braces with different support connections in special concentrically braced frames”, Key Engineering Materials, 763, 694-701.
- Kumar, P. C. A., and Sahoo, D. R. (2018), “Numerical and experimental investigations on inelastic cyclic performance of mid-span gusset plate connections”, Earthquake Engineering and Structural Dynamics, 47(9), 1921-1941.
- Kumar, P. C. A., and Sahoo, D. R. (2018). “Fracture Ductility of Hollow Circular and Square Steel Braces under Cyclic Loading”, Thin-walled Structures 130(9), 347-361.
- Oinam, R.M., Kumar, P. C. A., and Sahoo, D. R., (2019). “Cyclic performance of steel fiber-reinforced concrete exterior beam-column joints”, Earthquakes and Structures, 16(5), 533-546.
- Ghowsi, A.F., Sahoo, D. R.,and Kumar, P. C. A., (2020), “Cyclic tests on hybrid buckling-restrained braces with Fe-based SMA core elements”, Journal of Constructional Steel Research, 175(12), 106323.